Sunday, January 15, 2017

Sunday Soap

 I've still got that big bag of natural cocoa butter and a half pound of natural shea butter to use up. All that chocolate soap didn't finish it off. I had some fragrance samples I hadn't used before so I decided to see how cocoa smells with other scents. This is Love. It's a Lush scent knock off from Nurture Soaps. The mica colors are also new to me. I bought a set of pink samples. They are pretty but spotty. I've seen this problem before and I'm not happy. Maybe it was the dark cocoa butter or the dark shea? Whatever it is, I've got lots of spotty soap again. Ugh.


 Same issue with the set of green mica samples. Spots. This is Shampure which is an Aveda knock off fragrance. Sigh....it wasn't my day for soap.



 The Lavender Sage colors and fragrance worked nicely together so I did get one decent loaf out of the big mess I made in the kitchen.


 I had one fragrance sample left so the next day I used my new slab mold to see if I could pull off the fancy spin technique. The mold is sitting on my cutting mat that spins. You pour the soap in and then give it a few whirls and you are supposed to get something cool. I didn't. The soap got too thick too fast. I should have used a recipe with more soft oils and less colors so I could move quicker.


 I took a skewer to it to try to give the top a little more oomph. Oh, well...there's always next time.



It does smell wonderful. It's Dragon Moon also from Nurture Soap. I went ahead and made a regular loaf so I would at least have something to show for the mess. At least I hope so. Who knows what lurks beneath that mold since I can't cut it for a few days.

13 comments:

  1. I always find your soap posts fascinating since that's something I have never been able to do. I think they all look great. The spots wouldn't bother me a bit. Have a lovely weekend my friend.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your patience and persistence. What a challenging hobby! But the result is lovely. I agree, spots looks just like part of the design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they all look great too! Such pretty colors. The look good enough to eat - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are far too hard on yourself! They look lovely! Spots and all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, spots would not bother me. Love the soap you sent me. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they are brilliant even if your don't. I bet your house smelled amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always exciting to think about your kitchen on soap-making day! Love the Lavender and Sage look and am curious about the Love-scented one. To me the swirls and colors look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I could just eat that first one...LOL...and the last one reminds me of stained glass windows. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny about your soaps! They are always just gorgeous, and yet you are so critical. I guess those high standards are what makes them so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the last shot. It art. Its absolutely beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love watching your soap escapades and can almost smell that chocolate all the way from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who cares if their soap has spots?! As long as it doesn't leave any on me, I'm good!
    Looks like fun time making the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all look great from here!

    I was thinking of you this weekend. There was a soap maker at the arts market in our neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete