Monday, January 16, 2017

I Have a Dream

When I was a teacher the name of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. must have flew out of my mouth at least once a day. He was such a hero in the eyes of the kids in my class that almost all discipline issues could be addressed simply by invoking his memory.



I never had to teach it. My first graders would usually come in with a good understanding of what he would expect in terms of their behavior and classroom performance. Those who didn't get it would get schooled on the facts but good by their classmates. He was better than Santa Claus no matter what color, size or shape the kid was. I know it's a minor point in the man's legacy but I'm forever grateful to him for making my job easier.

7 comments:

  1. Sadly, I have found that many older kids are more impressed by rappers and their messages!
    Personally, I'm with the great man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a man if he can influence kids that many years later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy your students truly knew what a hero that man was. I admire his whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thought of him and his "I Have a Dream" speech a lot lately as I'm sure many others have as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He impacted my life; I wish we had someone to bring forth his message today with the same humility and power.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I find this post so heartening. Thank you for sharing. It's beautiful. His name evokes a sense of the good in humanity that is incomparable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the best post, I love that these children knew all about him, how wonderful is that? He was a man of the century, a man that has made all of us better in so many ways. Thank you for this post today.

    ReplyDelete