Monday, January 2, 2017

Too Good to Last

 I had such high hopes for the new year but noooooo......the yarn gods are still poking me with their pointy sticks.



 For crying out loud. This is the SECOND pair in a row that had a break in the yarn right in the middle of the ball. Grrrrrrr......In my world socks can't have joins. They get too much wear and tear. They also can't have knots because socks should be comfortable. What to do? I untwisted and then soaked the ends in an attempt to splice them.



I twisted and rubbed and rolled that join around until it passed the pull test. I can't see the splice. Let's hope it holds. If not, the recipient can treat these socks as single use. I can always make some more.

8 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. At the price of most sock yarns there should NOT be breaks.

    Luckily, it looks like you have an invisible join!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the splice. I started a project this week and one ball of yarn had 4, count em, 4 knots! I contemplated sending it back but that was too much of a headache. I'm still trying to decide what to do. Very irritating so I understand completely.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your yarn problem. I can see in my ball there is a joint too but since it is so close to the beginning I hope it will stay in leftovers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your solution! I will definately have to give that a try because there just shouldn't be knots in socks. :
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find some of the nicest yarns have joins and it drives me crazy, Noro I am talking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I overlap the end of the old with the end of the new for 10 stitches; I leave long tails which I weave in at the finish. These stand the test of wear and comfort for 25 years-just an idea for you. And yes, it does annoy me that there is a break in the skein very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is just maddening! Joins make me nuts. This is why I usually wind it all into a ball even if I dont need to. I have to make SURE the yarn is continuous. I have a one strand sock mentality too! You are not alone. So sorry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Knots make me crazy, too. A couple of times I've complained to the store where I purchased it, and some are wonderful and replace the bad skein. I agree with Dee; good yarn shouldn't have knots!

    ReplyDelete