Wednesday, January 4, 2017

When Quilting Attacks

 This is my new mini quilt kit in action. I am not having fun. You have to fussy cut the paper pieces and I just discovered I'm not very good at it.




Not only that, after I cut off what I needed for the sashing and binding I didn't have enough material to cut out the pieces the directions told me to cut out. There was a lot of cursing going on when I discovered I couldn't even order anymore of this material. The collection is pretty much sold out.




Once I calmed down I realized I could just wing it with the scraps. No one would know that I didn't use the specific flowers called for in the pattern. I won't tell if you won't.



 I also learned that the technique I had learned from watching You Tube was not the best for this particular pattern. Once I got rid of the template I made and just lined up the paper points in the same place on the flowers it all started to fall into place.




The four block centers are done. They are not perfect but it was a VERY steep learning curve. The next time I'll do better.



 Now to cut out and baste the 32 green pieces that finish it up. They are just regular pieces-nothing fussy about them. Thank goodness.

12 comments:

  1. I think your flowers are beautiful. I've made a few quilts and I have to say, I'm not good at it at all. I just don't have the patience. I'm sure yours is going to be amazing!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like, all in all, it worked out pretty nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric is gorgeous! And it does look like it is working out fine. You continue to amaze me with EVERYTHING you do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes you have to follow your own directions to get to where you wanted to go!
    Looks fabulous to me! Great line-up for the first quilt of 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quilting is so impressive. I love the HIVE look

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hat's off to you! That fussy cutting would drive me batty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remember, there are NO quilting police! Your quilt is going to be great, and one of a kind. You are brave to tackle something with such tiny pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think your quilt is going to be wonderful! Quilting is yet another skill I've never tried because I don't think I have the patience to follow through all the steps. I love to sew but usually I sew fairly basic clothing for myself or my grandchildren. So yet another reason for me to read your blog and enjoy what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did the Stack 'N Whack piecing and really enjoyed it. There was no fussy cutting and each block was a surprise! The downsize was that you had to buy yards of fabric to get the number of repeats to make the blocks. I think your method will be just Grand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look wonderful from here my friend.

    ReplyDelete