Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Wednesday WIPs

 

I had to drive down the county to this ominous building yesterday morning. I was dreading it. I had to re-new my driver's license and it was always an awful experience. Not this time. I was in and out in 9 minutes. I timed it. The one good thing about Covid is that no one wants crowds anymore so you have to make an appointment. I was the only person in the place and they couldn't wait to get me out the door. 




I was TERRIFIED that I wouldn't pass the eye exam. I have a retina condition that can't be fixed and I am pretty aware of the fact I can't see well anymore. At first I couldn't even find the row of letters I was supposed to read. I was panicking until I realized I was trying to read in the unlit portion of the screen. Once I could find the row, I was okay and passed. The Mister knew how worried I was so we celebrated my victory with a Panera take out for lunch. He even bought me a baguette and some mini scones. 



Going blind or not...this old dog did learn some new tricks this week. I've been double knitting the front bands of The Big Gray Blob. I had to learn the Italian cast on to do it. It took me a lot of tries to get it right and it's not something I am terribly comfortable with but it's getting done. 




I also had to learn the Closed Toe cast on. I don't do toe up socks but if I wanted to particiapte in this year's Arne and Carlos holiday KAL I had to figure it out quick. It starts on Friday and you needed to have the toe done by then. That also took me a lot of tries but I got it done. 





I would like to have Number 24 done by then and I'm getting close. I started joining all the pieces yesterday so now I only have the yoke and the turtle neck to do. Those necks always do me in but knowing this is the very last one might just be the thing that gets me going. 







7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on passing the eye test and conquering the DMV. Alex had to get his license changed from Washington to Nebraska while he was here because he uses us as his US residence. He has an International, Japanese, British and Nebraska drivers licenses! They expected a long wait but were home in 45 minutes. Not too bad.
    I've tried toe up socks but cannot figure out that cast on at all, or the other one I can't remember that uses circular needles for toe up. I just stick to cuff down.
    Love that sweet little sweater. I have to put everything in Pipers advent mini-stockings tomorrow. The first will be here very, very quickly!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lots of wins here! Congratulations on renewing your driver's license, double knitting the front bands (I didn't even know that was a thing), and doing the closed toe cast on. I hope your stellar week continues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfully in Wyoming, an optometrist can fill out a form for the DMV vision requirement. Appointments are required here now, too, which I love because I hate waiting forever to renew my license. Great job on your knitting projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see your gray blob is progressing! I still have to weave the ends in and block mine - I was so happy to finish the knitting, I don't want to touch it now! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great week for you! Congrats on the driver's license thingy - I hope it's good for a number of years. I've never heard of a closed toe cast on or double knitting. go you! I would like one (or two) of those mini scones, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup, I was very nervous last time I took the vision test! Glad it's behind you! Nice work on the sweater ribbing and learning the new toe-up stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should have a big ol' celebration when #24 is in the books! That was a HUGE little project.

    ReplyDelete