Saturday, November 18, 2023

And Piles to Go.....

 

....before I sleep. It was leaf tackling day again yesterday and I couldn't help but think of that Robert Frost poem as I raked.  It really was a magical moment as the leaves were falling like snow around me as I made the piles that I drug to the edge of the woods and dumped.



We are at peak color right now. The light is golden. It was another beautiful day to be outside. I've been lucky with this leaf raking thing. Mother Nature has had mercy on me.





When I was done I spread out the tarp I used for dragging on the hill and laid down on it just to take a moment to catch my breath and enjoy the view. I noticed that there's still a lot of leaves up there but I won't be raking for a while. I like leaves on the ground on Thanksgiving. It drives The Mister crazy but I like fall to look like fall. I don't want to see green grass.




Since I was up at 5:15 so I got an early start on yesterday's soap and had it made in the morning. It was my fresh goat's milk soap and it's trickier than the others. I have to re-measure everything and be very careful with the temperature so the lye doesn't burn it. 





I also can't put it in the incubator for the same reason so it's going to spend the night on the table. It's always scary to cut a solid color soap. Any variation in temperature can lead to some not very pretty things happening. As careful as I was, it's out of my hands now. As I've said before...soap's gotta be, what soap's gotta be. The saponification process, where it literally cooks itself in the mold, is never an exact science. All kinds of weird things can happen-and that's exactly why it is so darn addicting.







2 comments:

  1. Good for you for appreciating the beauty in the leaf-raking chore! When we do leaves my husband looks at the ground and I always look up to see how many are left up there. Fingers crossed for your soap; it looks like a cake with thick swirled icing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice yard work! A good job you are doing! The new soap is the perfect color so far!

    ReplyDelete