Thursday, September 8, 2011

September Spin Along Part 1



This month's Yarnspinner's Tales Group Spin Along is about spinning woolen singles. Woolen means the certain way you let twist into the unspun fiber. It's complicated and it makes my head hurt thinking about it but I am going to give it a try. You have to start with carded fiber so I ran some leftover odds and ends of Jacob and Corriedale through the little drum carder.



I got two cute little batts but they were gray and I am tired of gray.



I decided to dye the batts. It's scary but I have done this before without any problem so I dumped them into a basin of water to soak.



I spun them dry and then unrolled them.



Now things get ugly. I painted the dye on in spots for some reason I can't understand and as soon as I did, I regretted it.



I left plenty of white so the color could do what it usually does and spread all over, but it didn't.
I must have spun too much water out of the batts because that dye didn't go anywhere but all over the table and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment