Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday Foolishness

 

Can you stand one more Barbie introduction? This one arrived yesterday. 




There are hundreds of unopened Barbies for sale over on Ebay and now I know why. If you've ever had to take one out of the box you know that it's easier just to leave them in there. Some of them, like this one, even have their hair SEWN ONTO THE CARDBOARD. 





You have to remove the tape and then carefully pick out the stitches without ripping out her hair. No fun there. 




More foolishness ensued this week when I ended up with three of these Badger Basket doll cases. I wanted two, I got three. I found one I liked online at Walmart and then ordered another from Amazon. Amazon then told me the one I had ordered was no longer available so I ordered another one from Walmart only to have the one from Amazon show up at the same time. 




To top off a week where I was starting to question my own sanity over stuff that's been showing up, I received this. I did the 23andMe test and found loads of new relatives. My sister and I have been obsessed since then with filling up the family tree over on Ancestry. She's had an account there for years but now we are armed with lots more information. So I decided to get my own account so I could play along and this test kit came with it. I've been sitting here looking at it because 23andMe leads me to believe I could have even more half siblings out there somewhere. When all this began I fully expected to have the FBI at my door letting me know my dad was a serial killer, a serial ladies man? That was rather unexpected. 


 







7 comments:

  1. That's another very pretty Barbie. You already have quite the collection and I'm guessing you'll find even more. That DNA stuff kind of scares me. There's enough strangeness in the extended family without more surprises. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you've released her from Barbie Box Jail this one looks ready to greet winter weather in style. I hope she plays nicely with the others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Barbies are a good stress reliever for you right now--better than eating junk food and dealing with the extra 25 lbs! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Several yrs ago, an Australian gent with the same last name send out a msg inviting anyone who is a born BLADES to a get together in Los Angeles.
    Took my mother and sister. Nat Geo was there to do DNA testing. We were an international group of over 70. My family and I are from Barbados.
    The results were interesting and a bit upsetting; there was another attendee from Canada who was my Mother's nephew and 2 yrs younger, she had no idea about him. One of her sisters had him at 14 and he grew up in the UK with his father's family. Found more relatives.
    On an interesting note, we discovered that most of the BLADES population lives in Panama but of course slavery reared its ugly head.
    Genealogy is a rabbit hole i need to stay away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slavery turned up in my DNA also. I had no idea I had an Angolan grandparent about 5 generations back. Seeing that the Angolans were the first slaves brought here I suppose I am the product of a very ugly chapter in our nation's history.

      Delete
  5. yeah - they started sewing the hair down in the late '90s, I think. It was to help prevent shoplifting - you had to take the whole box instead of pulling the doll out and sticking her down your pants.

    Defintiely NOT fun for the kid who wanted to open the box in the car on the way home...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking about doing one of those tests--my parents divorced when I was 3, never saw my dad after I was 6, and I think he had another family after that. I would love to know if I have half sibs.

    ReplyDelete