Friday, January 26, 2024

Friday Fluff: Family Ties

 

Ever since we found so many unknown to us relatives, my sisters and I have been going hot and heavy with the genealogy. Combing through old documents that have been uploaded on Ancestry is addicting and keeping me up at night but look what I found....I hit the jackpot. My 5th great grandmother on my mother's side, the Allen branch, had a SPINNING WHEEL.



Like mine. 





And a pair of hand cards like mine for doing this. I was so chuffed to find this out. She also had 10 pounds of wool, 6 ewes and 4 lambs according to the inventory she submitted for her husband's will. 





She also had a "weaving apparatus" like mine and I hope a home as messy and full of things to do as mine. This makes me wildly happy even though I know most women had that stuff back in the day which for this lady happened to be in 1770 in the English colony of Prince George, which became the county I happened to be born in and had lived most of my life until we moved to the beach. 




And.....I've finally made peace with my yak. I spin at night pretty much in the dark while watching whatever I am watching on TV and just don't look down. I'm just going to enjoy it running through my fingers and not think about a finished product.








9 comments:

  1. It is interesting that you and your ancestor have much in common. My SiL and I often joke about how we're glad that our families don't have to rely on our knitting. She likes to knit pillowcase lace and embroider the pillowcases and I may be the world's slowest knitter. Our families would have frozen to death in 1770 if we had had to weave them cloth for clothing and knit all their socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we are related. My great grandfather on my moms side was an Allen. Probably born around 1850. Believe they came from Devon England in early 1770’s. Immigrated to Newfoundland in Bonavista area which was colony of England in the day.
    Cheryl Al seajaes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it was all born into your genes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so interesting! I'm toying with the idea of searching as well but parts of me don't want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting! It's wonderful to make a connection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you know where your crafting skills come from! Genealogy is really interesting, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete