I took advantage of some gloomy weather to finally put myself to the task of beginning to machine quilt my Serendipity Quilt.
I had pretty much no idea what I was doing but I knew I needed lots of pins. I was only working on one block at a time so I pinned the you-know-what out of it. Yes, it was a pain to take them all out while quilting but it was nowhere near as painful as picking out unintentional puckers or pleats on the underside. I do have the spray on basting that works wonders on small projects but I would have needed to rent a gas mask to spray a quilt this big.
On every You Tube tutorial, the quilter puts her hands on top of the quilt and pushes it around. That didn't work for me at all. I didn't like not knowing what was going on the underside so I used my hands in the same position I use for hand quilting-one up, one under.
I know it is wrong, but it really prevents the puckers that I was picking out repeatedly when I first started. Now if I could only come up with a method for improving my bobbin tension. The underside is just not as pretty as the top no matter what I do.