Thursday, April 4, 2024

Oh, Brother....

 

The state of Maryland has decided that us oldies with a pension don't have to pay state income taxes anymore so they sent all the money I paid in last year back. $900 to be exact. The first thing I thought of is that I need a new sewing machine. My old Brother is on it's last legs. All that costume and scenery sewing plus all those Covid masks did it in, I'm afraid.




Dad and I each bought one of these inexpensive Brother models back in his beginning quilting days. He had his on one end of his work table and I had mine on the other and we worked together. This one was his. 




I had packed it away when he went off to the nursing home. Before I bought another machine I decided to clean this one up and see if it worked better than mine and it did so for now I can use it. But...I'm still thinking about getting another higher end machine. After looking into them I am now completely confused. I had no idea that this sewing machine business was so complicated. If you've got any advice I'd appreciate it. 



And....the Charming Stars top is finally getting put together. I've got the three horizontal long seams to fiddle with today.




I've also got one more February block finished. This time it was a white one. I'm going to checkerboard the nine block backgrounds so I've got two more pink and three more white to go before I have to make a lot of decisions about how I'm going to put them all together. 

 







8 comments:

  1. Sorry - no advice from me. I have a simple Kenmore machine that I love. In fact, every time I take it in to be cleaned and oiled, they want to buy it from me. It's a workhorse...nothing fancy, but I don't need all the fancy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing machines are a complicated and expensive field! You've made good progress on the blocks into quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilts are both beautiful but I really like the February quilt so much.
    I know what you mean about sewing machines. I still use the one I got 45 years ago. Dennis bought it for me the first Christmas we were married. It's a workhorse Kenmore. I think it was $79 which was a fortune for us back then. I bought a small portable machine when we were living in the camper. It was all plastic and I hated it. I've got no advice for you with a new machine but have fun shopping!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your windfall, however you spend it! I can't recall ever hearing about a state deciding they needed less money, but I'm glad you benefit. I don't have any sewing machine expertise (I'm using my mother's 1950s Singer) but I like the idea of you using your father's for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for no state taxes once you reach a certain age. Unfortunately, my state has not made that change. I have two Bernina sewing machines and have been using one for over 20 years. The other is my backup. There are so many features on all machines. What you really have to do is first determine what you need from a machine and go from there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't offer anything, either, sadly. What fun a new machine would be, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buying a sewing machine is now very confusing. I sew mainly on a 1960s Singer that is all metal. It is a workhorse and we have a ton of adventures together. My sister quilts and she sews on a 1980s Husqvarna. Personally I would use your Dad's until it is not functioning. If you want to look I would look for an older basic machine. The new ones have thousands of stitches and all seem to be computerized. For older machines you could try a vacuum and sewing machine repair shop. Believe it or not Goodwill has many older machines for sale online. If you have a dependable sewing repair person it might be worthwhile to buy something from Goodwill and get it serviced. The prices are reasonable. If you spread the word in your area you are looking for an older machine you might be contacted by a family or widower looking to sell machines that have only had one owner in their family. Contact your local branch of the American Sewing Guild. The members are sewers and often have leads on machines for sale. Also contact your local quilting guild. They know of machines for sale.
    It also depends on what you want to do with the machine. Some machines are better for quilting and some for garment sewing. I tell you - you can fall down a rabbit hole thinking and looking for a new machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have much advice on machines... I'm sewing on a 1949 Singer that does nothing but straight stitch!
    If I want to quilt on her, I can drop the feed dogs and free motion - but I never do because Mom has the long arm.
    She is GREAT for straight-line quilting because she is a WORKHORSE. She can sew really thick stuff!

    So I guess if I had any advice, it would be think about what you actually need the machine to do... I mostly only piece tops, so mine is just perfect for me. I don't need all the bells and whistles. For me, simple is better.

    Also I LOVE the idea of the checkerboard with the pink quilt -that's going to be GORGEOUS???

    ReplyDelete