Wednesday, July 10, 2019

The Mystery of Tangles


I finally finished these socks. Look at how much yarn I had left. I had to go check my measurements thinking I did something wrong. Nope. It just must have been a generous skein.




 With no socks on the needles I had to go stash diving. I have so much to choose from. I love my sock yarn stash.



 I decided that these will be the next two on the needles but I was worried about winding it up. I have had no luck lately. My yarn cakes have been a tangled mess.



 I got out my new replacement winder and instead of using the handle as I usually do I hooked it to the table.



 It helped to have a free hand but on the first wind I had a mess. I went slowly so I could see what was going on and I noticed that some of the loops were wrapping around the bottom of the center cone and didn't think much of it. This is what happens when they do. Now I know not to let the yarn do that.


 The next time around I paid close attention to where the winding was happening. If it looped at the top or the bottom of the center cone I stopped, took it off and re-wound it. I also used my free hand to create a bit of tension. That helped keep the yarn wrapping where it should.



It was tedious but I do like a center pull cake so I guess it's a small price to pay for getting it right.



And then there was this.  The next morning while spinning along with the Tour I think I had an a-ha moment. When I was winding off the last bits to make a plying ball I noticed that I didn't have a bit of an issue with the winder. In spite of being wound from some highly energized singles there wasn't a tangle anywhere in it. I was able to use up every last inch. I am starting to think the problem is not the winder at all. This is actually the old one. I think the problem is my swift. When I wind off of the smooth rolling bobbin that is on my lazy kate I had no issues whatsoever. No skipping. No jumping. No need to rewind.  I wondered if you can oil a swift?



I couldn't but I did wax it by rubbing a sheet of wax paper down the shaft and voila. A perfectly wound ball with no skips or weird loops. Sweet.

12 comments:

  1. Brilliant! I would have never thought of using wax paper. I do love the yarn that you're working with now. I thought I had a lot of sock yarn, but you have me beat.
    That was a lot left at the end of your socks. The last pair I made had me playing yarn chicken. It was Paton's Kroy sock yarn and I had even made the leg of the sock shorter than usual. Very disappointing. I like your result better. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winding yarn cakes is one of my favorite pass times but it can be a mess if it doesn't come off the swift smoothly. Good idea with the wax paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wax paper is a great solution/idea!! The extra yarn from your finished socks would make great cuffs/heels/toes with a solid color leg!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to figure out the problem. I know it isn't NECESSARY, but a nicely wound yarn cake is a pleasure to knit from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I can't wait to try the wax paper trick. Something I noticed from your photos - Is the metal tension loop thing on the winder set in the right place? On mine, the metal thing swings out opposite the crank handle rather than at right angles. If I forget to set it properly, the winder makes a giant mess.

    Love your socks and I can't believe how much yarn you had left over. The skein must have been huge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks are beautiful as is the yarn for the next two pairs. Glad your analytical brain resolved the problem with your yarn cakes. Now for some relaxing knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. even when the yarn shop winds the yarn in a cake, I have to roll it into a ball. If I don't it just finds the other end and gets really nasty on me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a great idea!!! I will wax paper my swift for good measure. I always hang on to the strand as it comes off the swift for some even tension and to keep the strand level with the eyelet of the cone feeder--you've got that figured out now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Cindy, I lightly guide the yarn coming off the swift for even tension. I've notice the nuisance loops are usually started at the bottom of the cake. I don't think the problem is the winder because it is happening with both old and new winders. I'll try your wax paper trick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you figured out the winding mystery! What are you going to do with all that left over yarn? Nice socks, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't use a swift, I use the back of a chair to hold my yarn and that helps me keep the tension right. Of course now I just wind them into balls so I get to know the yarn better. It works for me.

    ReplyDelete