Saturday, April 30, 2011

The April Spin In



The Yarnspinner's Tales Podcast group on Ravelry is doing an April spin along focusing on locks. Here are some Merino locks I washed last summer.



I have slowly but surely been spinning from the bag of locks all winter but I am not happy with the results. I was never really sure of what I was doing. There is little information out there on the process, so I was making it up as I went.



The Yarnspinner herself, posted a You Tube video here to show how it should be done. The first thing I noticed was how clean her locks looked. The fiber slipped past itself with little effort. My locks were still a bit too sticky so I took the chance of giving the last remaining few another bath. First I pinned them in net to hold their shape.



Then I gave them a good soak in very hot water. I used a wool scour-Kookaburra Scour to be exact.



Right now the locks are drying. It will be a few days before I will be able to tell if there will be any improvement. In the meantime, I am going to keep studying that video.

No comments:

Post a Comment