Saturday, July 25, 2020

Two Birds, One Stone


I've knit and sewn a hole in my finger this week. I had to get out the electrical tape. It was a rainy Friday here and I was glad. I woke up at 5 am and couldn't get back to sleep. I spent the whole day in a daze.




I did get the last row of the hexie top together That's probably why I have a hole in my finger. That was a lot of appliqueing but I really want to see the end of this. I've got something important to start work on and this thing is in the way.



I haven't actually sewn the last row on yet because of that being in a daze thing I had going on. I just knew it was going to give me fits. I was fretting about it when I thought that instead of fussing over the rows not lining up perfectly, I could just disguise the intersection with another paper piece.



That would solve two problems since Daddio left me bins of them and I was wondering what to do with all those leftovers. I don't see another hexie quilt in my future.



Since serious sewing was not going to happen, what I did do to speed the finishing process up was to cut out pieces for the sashing. That I could do. I'm going to need a lot. It's a good thing he also left me packs and packs of charm squares. They make the job so much easier than having to cut yardage. 

9 comments:

  1. I've done that before and I know it can be very painful. I like the additional hexies. That was a brilliant idea.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don’t want the leftovers maybe donate to a volunteer group. In Canada I belong to Victoria’s quilts. We make quilts for free for cancer patients. I know there must be similar groups in your area.
    Cheryl (aka seajaes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be such an amazing quilt when it is done, though! Sorry for the sore finger!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hexes at the junction look very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really brilliant - sewing those hexies over the intersections. I love the way they look! Wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the hexies in the middle of your sashing! Looks good! Sorry about your finger. I think the heat has something to do with the in a daze feeling:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know that lack-of-sleep daze. When I'm really stressed, I have terrible insomnia. I don't know how I get through those days at school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea using the hexies to cover the area you are not happy with. I think you are brilliant! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your creative use of the hexies. And now I'm envisioning a hexi wedding ring type quilt made with the extras. Hope your finger is healed now.

    ReplyDelete