Thursday, July 23, 2020

The Cure


I mentioned yesterday that The Mister and I were taking turns this week being grouchy. Tuesday morning he had a complete meltdown over being cooped up for so long so yesterday morning I packed some knitting and we hit the road.



He thinks I am being overly cautious. Everyone else is going out and getting on with their lives but us he claimed. That's not true. It was just the cabin fever talking. Luckily, a work friend of his called that afternoon and asked us to go pick from his garden while he was away in the mountains. We do it for him every year and a day out was just what The Mister needed.



One of the deals I had made with The Mister to soothe his pique was going to be to let him go INTO the grocery store and get me some onions. I had ordered some but didn't get them on my last delivery. I can't live without onions so it would have been an acceptable risk. No need. The work friend had a bunch of big beauties we could pull. 



He had rows and rows of sunflowers this year. That was new. They were lovely to see and the sound of the bees could have put you asleep. Pup wasn't fond of it though.



Their Susans seemed to have escaped any deer attacks. They were spectacular. 


All that was fine and dandy but the big event of the day was that on the way home we went through the Dunkin drive thru. It was the first non-delivery food we have had since mid February. We had to drive up to Anne Arundel county to do it. They have 6,105 cases now compared to our 503 but I bit my tongue and off we went. 



It didn't seem worth it to me to take the risk for a donut but who am I to judge. It was important to The Mister so we did it. I wrapped the box in a towel and home we went where we transferred them into a safe container. I have to say, I had a jelly filled and it was GOOD. 



I also have another sink full of produce to cook this week. I see fried green tomatoes and eggplant parm in my future. I am going to bake those overgrown squash like a winter squash using a recipe I found for them on the internet. It was a good day and I suppose all good days come with some amount of risk. 



I totally admit that I am more freaked out than most over this virus thing but I have asthma. That feeling of not being able to breathe scares the you know what out of me on pretty much a regular basis anymore. My asthma got notably worse after my bout with H1N1 back in the day so I really, really don't want to tangle with this virus thing. The way my sister described what she and her husband went through when they had it still keeps me up at night. It's one nasty bug.
 

10 comments:

  1. I DO NOT think you're being overly cautious. I think many people are being way too blase about it. That's why it's spreading so bad. Two more people at Dennis's work have it but they haven't been at the office since last week. Hopefully that will be long enough to keep the rest of the people well.
    I'm glad you were able to get some produce, especially the onions. :-)
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fresh produce looks wonderful - glad you could get out to pick that. I'm sure just getting out in the fresh air helps improve moods a bit. I do understand your caution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to get fresh produce and do a favor for a friend, too. I’ve limited my outings and always weigh the risk against the benefit when I do venture out. Thankfully, more people are starting to wear masks. The virus numbers are increasing here every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need to be cautious, yes, but for mental health you do need to still get out! A day like this is just perfect.
    Hiking is another ideal way - or even just a picnic in a non-crowded park.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect opportunity for the mister to get out and pick in your friend's garden! Nice perk to get the produce, too. I'm not a fan of donuts but I can appreciate getting a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went yesterday to my brother's garden plot to pick what was ripe while he is away. I found yellow squash, zucchinis, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and basil. Now I have to figure out what to do with it all. Found some good recipes for the squash / zucchini and will make pickles out of the cucumbers along with Caprese salad. Fresh produce is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a good day out and about! Hope you are both in a better mood! My husband was on the Bi Pap machine once and has escaped the Ventilator several times...but the turning blue and not being able to breathe is really really scary. So we share your scary thoughts. We figure just let others do what they want we will do our own thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I *should* comment on the nice healthy vegetables, but I have to say ...........OMG, those doughnuts look DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always better to be cautious! I have my days of being upset, but most of the time it is because I am working and the homes I am working in are not being smart, thereby putting me at risk. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great day out!
    We were being super careful but have relaxed probably more than we should. My BIL keeps picking up my MIL and taking her out to large gatherings of unmasked people that his girlfriend and her family & friends invite him to. It's frustrating and feels a bit pointless for us to be so careful. I'll be singing a different tune if any of us catch it though.

    ReplyDelete