Saturday, July 18, 2020

In a Pickle


My poor cucumbers took a turn for the worse this week.



It's been so hot and humid and very buggy. They didn't have a chance. The leaves are all yellow and spotty now. I tried every trick I could find online to save them but I think it's too late. 



 Just look at this miserable crop of cukes. I got one normal one in the lot. They are supposed to be small pickling cucumbers but they look like anything but. I read that this is a case of poor pollination. I can believe it. We have very few bees here. I've only ever seen one buzzing around the carts. 



Even though they were ugly they still tasted pretty good. All of the ugly ones got chopped and put into brine for some garlicky dill refrigerator pickles. I didn't have the heart or the room to cut up the pretty one just yet.



The tomatoes are also starting to worry me. They are looking a little rough too. If I do this next year I will stick to cherry tomatoes. These are Better Boys and they still have a long way to go. 



My kale is still going strong. I hope to keep it alive until it cools down. It will be much happier then and so will I. They are talking 100 this week. Ugh. 




Now let me sing the praises of my new plastic floor. I bought 6 mil sheeting this time. It's nice and thick and very slick. It's easy to keep clean especially since we only have one seam down the middle between the rooms now. The old plastic was in patches all over the place because we never expected that we would have to keep it down forever. Who would have thought?

7 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your disappointment in the garden. It's so hard when you work so hard and things don't work out. I'm glad they taste good and it really doesn't matter how they look if the taste is there.
    I'm glad the new plastic is working for you. It is a strange life we're living now isn't it?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even UGLY pickles TASTE good. Glad you were able to use them up.

    We didn't have luck with our garden last year. The tomatoes came in, but not very well. The peppers kept getting munched down by the deer and then by what I guess was worms. Never saw worms, but each pepper had a little tiny hole in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardening woes--either too hot or too rainy or too buggy ! Sorry. The tomatoes like a bit of cooler nights to ripen-fat chance of that in this heat wave! Glad the 'new' flooring is working out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad about your garden. I hate when that happens after all the work you put in...I didn't even plant a veggie garden this year since I had such bad luck last year! Hope your tomatoes hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attempted to garden once here in Florida in containers and it was a disaster, cut worms, poor pollination it was a mess. Hope your tomatoes grow! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up growing pickling cukes - and I can testify - the ugly ones taste just as good as the pretty ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can take a paintbrish and pollinate for them...just in your spare time:)

    ReplyDelete