Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Croquant

I was in Home Goods the other day and I was hungry. I picked up a box of these cookies and started eating them on the car ride home.


They were a bit strange at first. They are like a cross between candy and a cookie. They were very sweet and had lots of chewy crunch but the best part was that they had only 90 calories-for two cookies.



 I was very sad when the box was empty and when I discovered I couldn't buy more online, I set out to make my own. It was much easier than I thought it would be. There are lots of recipes and tutorials out there for this type of cookie. Here is my favorite.


There are very few main ingredients. For a small batch you need: 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons of flour, a dash of salt and an egg white.



 After you mix that up you add about 1/2 of a cup of whatever else you want. I used a combination of toasted almonds and chocolate chips.



 They really spread out so you can only bake a few at a time. Parchment paper is a must. They are very sticky until they cool.



You rotate them after 6 minutes in a 400 degree oven for even color.



 Oh my goodness.....they were good. I like a very crunchy cookie and these were perfect. I'm thinking about coconut and cranberries and lots of other goodies for the next batch because....



...these aren't going to last long at all. Time for tea.

3 comments: