Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A Shabby Chic Finish

 That really shabby old quilt I had been torturing with my pitiful machine quilting is finally finished. I used the walking foot to secure the raggedy edges. It was my favorite part.



 When I was done I still had a lot of batting sticking out of worn out seams. The really terrible holes were patched up with some orphan hexies.


 Machine stitching them was a bear so I ended up on the floor with the pup hand sewing them on.


 The whole mess went into the wash with a lot of bleach. Twice. It was that stinky and stained. When it came out of the dryer it was lovely-clean and soft. Pup loves it.


She loved it so much she dug a hole in it.


No problem. I still have plenty of hexies.I even sewed on a few where they weren't needed just to even things out.

7 comments:

  1. Wow the puppy has gotten big!!! Is she full size now?
    Is her coat silky? it sure looks it. OH And i love the quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is very silky and usually full of tangles. She is getting better at letting me comb her but more often than not I have to take the scissors to her.

      Delete
    2. And.....she is full size. 13 whole pounds of badness.

      Delete
  2. I love grandmother's fan quilts! You are doing a great job repairing this and saving it! Pup is helping a LOT I can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so impressed. really. Your patience is amazing. I was thinking how fantastic that photo is of your pup on the washed quilt and her expression is very, "why yes, I did this myself." and then I read she dug a hole in it. sigh! But yes, you can fix anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the quilt and the little hex patches are perfect. hope you made lots with puppy around.

    ReplyDelete