Monday, September 30, 2013

Back In the Land of the Living

 Putting one foot in front of the other, I made it to the Shenandoah Valley Fiber Fest yesterday. It was a bittersweet day because as much as I enjoyed being there, I was painfully aware that the only reason I was there was because I didn't have the responsibility of caring for Dear Old Doggie anymore. I plodded along with a heavy heart intending to keep busy with my charity knitting on the long ride only to have The Mister get us good and lost. For the remainder of the trip I had to keep a close eye on the GPS if I wanted to get there at all.

 We did get to see a lot of rock walls and the Manassas battlegrounds so getting lost wasn't all bad.


It was this kind of day so actually getting lost wasn't too bad at all.


 We finally did make it at around 11ish only to find the place practically empty.


 There was no trouble shopping. I really need to bring more money to this particular fest because the goods are amazing and you can actually take your time and shop sensibly.


 There isn't even a snatch and grab atmosphere at the fleece sale. I had The Mister hold onto the one I was thinking about but there was no competition for it.


 I wanted one of these rug hooking stands but I am going to have to save up for one. Next year.

 I got a lesson in weaving rugs and I didn't even have to push my way through a crowd to see what was going on.


 The animals on exhibit are always very friendly. Unlike the MDSW where the animals seem stressed and very agitated, these animals seem to welcome attention.

 They actually demand it.


See what I mean? You can't walk away without petting that.


There were also bunnies galore this year. Every time you turned a corner someone was handing you one to cuddle.


There was a lot of fancy shmancy going on as well. She knows she's a pretty girl.


While not decked out in ribbons, the star of the show is always the camel. Boy, is he big. Really, really big.


 As for the stuff, I brought home two braids of over-dyed BFL from Misty Mountain Farms that I needed for a striped sweater I am spinning for.


 I also brought home something I wanted last year and regretted not buying-color changing cotton in fingering weight that is just plain gorgeous. It comes from Wolle's Yarn Creations and it is to die for. I told The Mister that this will become the shawl I will wear there next year as it was too hot for my poor handspun Holden that stayed in my bag the whole day.


 I certainly didn't need anymore fleece but this small bag of Shetland was calling my name. It is two and a half pounds of a pretty thing named Nora. I have no idea what she will become but I had to have her just the same.

 On the way home we stopped in the little town that hosts the events and walked the main street.


 Nothing was open but it was fun looking in the windows. It was like traveling back in time.


A book shop had an interesting display. I am pretty sure they don't have to worry about mice.


Our last stop was to get what I really wanted to bring home-apples. Last year The Mister just whizzed right past all the stands and I came home with none. Not this year.






5 comments:

  1. It's good to see you getting back in the swing of things and what a perfect way to do it. Looks like you had a really fun and productive day. I love the name of that town! It just makes me happy all over. Berryville....it just sounds like the perfect place to live or at the very least visit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good day all round. It must be so much more pleasant with fighting the crowds all the time, and some lovely purchases too. Those bunnies look wonderfully soft :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you got out even with a heavy heart. Wool is good for that you know. Time will heal, I know it doesn't seem possible but it will. Hang on.
    LOVE your wooly finds. I want a rabbit when they breed one that doesnt poop

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful sweet faces on those sheep. and buck tooth grin on miss llama . the bunnies while not poopless are so soft I'd like to have a whole house full. looks like a good day. good for you getting out. good for the Mr. stopping for apples and being your good sport about everything.
    hug

    ReplyDelete