Saturday, June 15, 2019

Oh, Snap!

Yesterday was a beautiful day. The kind you never get around here in the summer. It seemed stupid to stay in and sort stash so we took Pup to the park instead. I was looking forward to getting some good car knitting done but........


  ...I was just a few rows in when-snap. I wasn't even doing anything weird. The top of the needle just snapped off. Darn.



 I did have other needles with me but they were double points and this sock and its finished sibling was knit on a circular. I had a terrible crisis of conscience trying to decide what to do. Change the needles and keep knitting or wait to get home for my circulars?



The circulars won. I had tons of new ones at home and I couldn't bring myself to change in midstream like that. Talk about obsessive behavior. I thought that was pretty crazy-even for me.



This would have had a happy ending but when I got home I transferred it all over onto a brand knew needle and...........snap. Either I don't know my own strength or Knit Pick is having an issue. I love these pretty wood needles but I guess I'm off to find something more dependable.



AND then......a little later when I was over my needle angst I sat down to knit on another pair and found A KNOT. That is a crime in my book. I hate joins in socks I gift. I hate that this is in a stripey sock (it's Felici) because now I don't know if that stripe is going to be wonky and not match its sibling. Argh....it just wasn't my day.

10 comments:

  1. I had one DPN from KnitPicks break, but no problems since. And, when I emailed them about it they sent me a replacement set pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the reasons I just don't buy from KnitPicks anymore. I KNOW the prices are great, but I hate knots, random spots of dye and needles that don't hold up.

    Hope you can match up your sock without too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You Were having a bad day! I'm so sorry! I'm knocking on wood as I say it but, I've never had a needle break. I have lots of bent needles, both wooden and metal, and a few of my favorite wooden needles now have flat spots on their tips from where I've rubbed one needle against the other while transferring stitches across them... but I've never broken one. ... And now I'm sitting here knitting with my Knit Picks needles, wondering what kind of Hell I've just invited to rain down on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess it was not a good day for knitting but a great day for being out and about. We had a perfect spring day yesterday. If only the weather would stay like that, I could love summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a few knitpicks needles do that. The way the wood is joined to make those pretty stripes isn't always super strong. It's a shame, because they are my favourite needles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! What a day you had. What are the odds? I have had Knit Picks replace needles for me if I call. Maybe you could do that. And...that knot in Felici is really nasty. I hope it doesn't make your stripes wonky but just think of it as a bit of character. :-)
    I took my socks to a doctors appointment and I had a loonng wait on Wednesday. He was running way behind. I thought, "No problem. I have my knitting so I'm happy." Well, I opened up my bag and had 3 dpn's. I left the 4th on my side table. I have never done that. I always, always stick the 4th needle through the sock so it's right there. Now the wait that seemed okay before was way too long. :-(
    Blessings,
    Betsy
    Better luck today!
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  7. That knot is absolutely a heartbreaker on top of those broken needles! I know we're heading into some rain so I've been enjoying the sunshine and am glad you and your family got out for a lovely weather day, even if things didn't go perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Triple curses! I had a stretch of snapping needles and sent them back and had them replaced.
    One is a fluke-two is beyond overlooking! The socks look great, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are doing some wild knitting breaking needles! I most of the time wind my yarn into balls checking for problems...cause I hate it when there is a bad spot :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knit Picks is very good about replacing broken needles. I use metal needles exclusively because I can't stand snapping needles.

    ReplyDelete