Now I'm going to start explaining some of those projects I showed off yesterday. I've had some very interesting things going on here and I don't mean in a good way.
Way back in October, Little Sister asked me to knit some socks for her DIL for some Christmas gifting. She wanted them in the Baltimore Ravens team colors and a skein in those particular colors was nowhere to be found.
What I did have was some Bare and the vaguest idea of what needed to be done.
It took a lot of math to figure out how to come up with wide stripes. I knit a bit of a sock, made marks on it with a marker and unraveled it to see what I had.
I had six yards for about an inch wide stripe of color.
I wanted three colors to stripe around the sock so I figured I needed six yards of each. I cut three different colored yarn pieces so I could make a leader-that's weaving talk for the string that shows you the path to take on the warping board for a certain length.
I tied those leader strings to my warping board but the board was too small. I had to come up with another plan to lay it all out so I could dye it.
While I was thinking about it, I used some scraps to see if I could come up with the colors I needed: purple, black, white and gold.
It wasn't too promising but I knew better than to judge it while it was still wound in it's original little skein.
I made a ball and then a small sample that didn't show the striping I wanted but it did show how the colors worked together. Not bad. I was starting to think I may just pull this off.