Thursday, December 19, 2013

Bring Us Some Figgy Pudding and Another Birthday!

I bought way too much candied fruit for the fruitcake. I had a ton leftover.


I also have a nice little steamed pudding mold that I hardly ever use.


I had no excuse not to make some Christmas pudding. We had snow on the deck at the time so I was in an unusually festive mood.


Being totally out of money for the month, I had to use what was on hand so I made a hybrid out of several recipes. One of them suggested using the crockpot for steaming which I thought was brilliant. My mold has a nice heavy lid but it wouldn't fit in the crockpot so I had to use a tight layer of foil.


I hate the sound of the pudding hissing away for hours. It makes me fidgety.


It steamed quietly all day.


Mrs. Cratchit would be proud. Now it has to sit for a few weeks to cure and then on Christmas Day it will get another good steaming to warm it, a dose of brandy to set it aflame, and finally a big dousing of some kind of sweet sauce to help it go down. All it needs now is some holly for the top.
God bless us, everyone!


 All the pudding making still did not use up my store of candied fruit so I whipped up a batch of fruitcake biscotti as well.


The Mister got all excited thinking I was making cookies until he saw what came out of the oven. I am a big fan of this stuff. Him-not so much.



I'd also like to wish A Very Happy Birthday to my #1 Daughter in Law! See you Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry! But I'm with the Mister - cookies are far better than biscotti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;ll take some biscotti. !!! They look delicious

    ReplyDelete