Saturday, December 21, 2013

Little Christmas Blessings

 Doing the dishes and realizing that there was still snow on the deck made me very happy recently. I don't often get this view while the Christmas lights are up. It didn't last long but I made the most out of it.



 I don't do dairy as a rule but in December I eat ice cream. This makes me very jolly.



Eating that ice cream with cookies makes me even jollier. If I could find my favorite spumoni I would be the jolliest person alive but I can't find it anywhere this year. I'm going to have to learn how to make my own.



 I can't stop eating candy canes. Candy cane martinis are very good also. I have one every Christmas Eve. I'm looking forward to it.



 My vintage tinsel tree, as ragged as it is, always turns me into a kid again. The first one I ever saw back in the early 60's looked like the fairies had made it and I never forgot that feeling of wonder.


 I am grateful that The Mister will still find the time to sit with me and help me put the Santa puzzle together. We've put it together every year since who knows when. It's not Christmas without it in spite of the missing piece.


The sparkly stars, that Daughter gives me every year, make me remember those precious Christmas's when I had a house full of kids. Those days went by too fast. We need to figure out a way to slow down time. Really.



 I'm also very grateful for my collection of holiday DVDs. Once the kids are gone, being able to be a part of those familiar screen families fills an empty space that can threaten even the jolliest of days from time to time.


What I am most thankful for today, on the 21st of December is that I have had a year to get to know this little blur of a baby. He isn't still enough anymore to get a decent selfie with him and that's as it should be.

The miracle of a new life is something you never get used to. Happy birthday little guy!  I'm sure that all this fuss we are making over you is a mystery but just wait until next year!



4 comments:

  1. It's the little things that make life perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perfect little blur in blue
    making dreams
    come true
    Happy Birthday
    and a
    jolly mess

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so fun to read about your days nearing Christmas!!!
    The puzzle tradition is wonderful. How do the cats keep away?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is being worked in a big cork bulletin board which keeps it from sliding if they jump up on it. I also keep a heavy throw rug over top of it when we are not working on it. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete