Friday, December 22, 2023

O Christmas Tree

 

I can hardly believe we are almost at the end of my string of little sweaters. December always flies by, doesn't it?



I didn't take any chances yesterday. As soon as my feet hit the floor that tree was decorated. I confess to not putting all the ornaments on but I think it's actually got more than enough. 



We have a small army of musical stuffies under the tree and while I was decorating, The Mister got them all up and running. 




When my mom passed away in November of 2002, after a brief battle with leukemia, my dad wanted nothing to do with Christmas anymore. I couldn't leave well enough alone so I would buy him one of these funny stuffies every year hoping to get a smile. I don't think I ever did. The man was broken beyond repair from that point on. The ghosts of that Christmas haunt me to this day. 




After all that was taken care of we actually worked on the puzzle for a few minutes. We've got no obligations this year. It will just be The Mister and I, so there is no hurry to finish. It will give us something to do over the holiday. 




Yesterday afternoon we visited some of our little shops at the beach. Pup and I waited outside while The Mister looked for something for his sister. 




In the window of the antique shop I saw this tree. My mother and grandmother had similar ones and I've always wanted one like it. If my dad were still alive I'd have bought it and had him rewire it for me but he's not so I didn't.  Sometimes it's better to just let those ghosts stay where they are. 



Back at home I had a package waiting. NYPeapod sent me a box of her homemade jellies and some vanilla extract. You know I'm looking at that extract wondering how it would work in soap....lol. I'm always on the lookout for a good vanilla scent. There was also a cute as can be card and a squeaky toy for Pup. Thanks so much NYPeapod. If you haven't checked out her Instagram you should. She does so many amazing things I couldn't even begin to list them.



And.....how about a stocking update? It's growing but I am not happy. I love the pattern but I wish now I had used a darker green. The green sections are almost completely washed out from lack of contrast. I also am not happy with my tension. It's a bit puckery. You should never do colorwork when you are stressed and this has been a bit of a stressful year. I should have known better. It may block out, it may not. I do know I want to knit this again in different colors from the top down and maybe not use Magic Loop. I think I have a 16" circular that would have helped with that tight tension. We'll see. 















9 comments:

  1. So much in your post today. I love your tree. It's perfect and the animals around the bottom are great. Also the tree in the shop. Dennnis's Mom made one in ceramics years ago and we expected to find it when we cleaned the house out. She wanted it for her apartment. Unfortunately ALL of her Christmas decorations were missing except her nativity. We think we know where they are but the person denies it. Very sad since she made it and she seems to be having a particularly difficult Christmas this year. I feel bad for her, but she's confused and thinks she just moved and she misses her "stuff". It's been a year and a half and she keeps telling me to look in this or that drawer for something. We try to explain the house has other people in it now but of course she forgets right away. We're hoping having Dennis's brother here for two weeks may help her spirits.
    Take care my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree is so pretty - I'm glad you got it up and decorated. Looks and sounds like you are ready for the holidays. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sweaters are really lovely and congratulations on a nicely decorated tree! (I do feel a little sorry for that snowman with a screwdriver in his butt.) It's no consolation, but my father was the same kind of broken after my Mom died, and just waited 12 years to die. Those are memories I try to tiptoe around. But that ceramic tree brought back a nicer remembrance of the one my MiL had and all five of her kids wanted. I like your stocking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First--the stocking is just right as it is! I love this combination of colors! The tree is up--you did it! Relax and savor the lighter schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to edit this because my mom passed away in 2002 NOT 2022. Duh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you liked the small package I sent - Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree looks wonderfully festive! And I like the green in your stocking - it's has Grinch vibes, and he's my fave holiday character. (I just really love the song "You're a mean one... Mr. Grinch!|"

    Crockadoodle (the paint it yourself ceramics chain around here) has trees like those and I've been so tempted to get one to paint up. They have one that's a tree in the back of a truck! My grandma had one and it was always one of my fave decorations. I believe she ended up giving it to my cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Christmas tree is just beautiful and needs nothing else. As for the Christmas tree you saw in the shop window, I think everyone who worked with ceramics in the 70s-80s made one of those trees. I purged mine years ago. The sock look awesome to me. I love the colors you used and the contrast on my screen is great.

    ReplyDelete