Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Wedding Bells

 Daughter and I hit the shops on Monday to get the clothes we needed for Son's wedding weekend coming up in just a few weeks. See this designer's shop? Doesn't it look like someone's closet? This was pretty much it but I can tell you the price of these sparse duds was out of this world. Daughter found a dress here that looked amazing on her-as everything does. It was just a mere $300. Gasp.



 We were at Tyson's Galleria where if you didn't drive up in a Mercedes and have a million in the bank you need to go elsewhere. I sure didn't belong there but it was the best place to pick up a dress for Son's "dressy casual" wedding.



 I actually wasn't terribly impressed with the clothes but it was fun to see how attentive the salespeople are when you walk in. They offer you something to drink and to "set up a dressing room for you", whatever that means. I couldn't understand what they were saying half of the time and had to get a very amused Daughter to translate as she explained that I "don't get out much."



Daughter is in her element there. She snaps her fingers and they all jump. See her bag? You can't just go in a store and buy one of those. You have to be "offered" them by the designer if they think you are worthy of one. It's an Hermes. Look it up if you want to be shocked by the price and keep in mind she has several of them. Here she is trying to convince me to buy an expensive bag. It didn't work. I'm still carrying my $29 bag from Marshall's but I am still looking for the right clutch to go with my new dress.



Daughter wanted me to get this one but it was $89 at J Crew and I freaked out. What do you think?



Here's my dress. It was the first and only one I tried on. It's Ann Taylor and it was cheap by Daughter's standards but it cost me a pretty penny. I do love it though. My goal was to find a dress that made me want to dance and this one does. I danced all over the fitting room in it. I paired it with a little forest green cardi to hide those jiggly arms I've developed. I need to split more wood.



The biggest headache of the day was finding shoes to go with that dress. We went to Bloomingdale's.  I had boxes all over the place. Even some very interested customers of the very senior diva variety were helping me decide what to buy. It was hilarious. I did not end up buying these gold sandals but did end up buying something similar but in a more diva approved neutral shade. Daughter settled on a pair of Christian Louboutin sandals that cost more than our mortgage and car payment combined. Yikes.



I really had a great time shopping for myself but my favorite part was just hanging out in the bridal section at Nordstroms while Daughter tried on dresses over in another area. Oh, my those gowns were gorgeous. When Daughter was dress shopping 8 years ago it was hard to find a dress that didn't make you look like a cupcake or a strumpet. I see things have taken a turn for the romantic again. Good.

13 comments:

  1. What fun!!!! I like your dress and I would add the cardigan for the same reason!!! lol
    I am liking the new t-shirts in style now with the longer short sleeves so the jiggles are tempered! You are going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE the dress that you got! It is beautiful. The Christian Louboutin shoes are outrageous (there is someone in my office who wears them)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You picked a BEAUTIFUL dress!

    The straw bag isn't so badly priced, but those Christian Louboutain shoes would have made me drop my jaw on the floor for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that it makes some people happy - but spending that much money on things just seems insane to me.
    I do like you dress, and I'm glad you splurged on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ❤️ the dress that you purchased! I haven't been shopping in a real store for ages, so I know I'd have severe sticker shock.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday my daughter asked "What are you wearing to the wedding in July?" I replied...just normal clothes...she said "IT needs to be more special than that" I guess I must shop...I hate shopping. I like comfy clothing so nothing ever looks great!
    Looks like a stylish dress...I don't like bare arms either:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! You made me laugh so hard in this post. I think we would be great shopping companions. I absolutely detest shopping for clothes. The prices are ridiculous. $89 for a purse! And I know that’s cheap. I buy mine from Amazon for around $20. Your dress is very, very pretty though. It looks like something I would choose. I hope you post a picture of yourself in your ensemble.
    Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your dress!!! It looks so elegant and I can just imagine it with the cardi and your new sandals. I do love purses and I get first choice when my daughter decides to purge. They are not in the category of your daughter's purses but I cringe at their prices. (Price tag is usually in the zipper compartment). Do you have a plan for makeup and hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've got a reservation at something called a "dry bar"? They do hair and makeup. It's cheaper than buying all the products I would need since I own nothing. I haven't worn makeup in ages.

      Delete
    2. That sounds interesting! I hope you will share that experience with your readers. I just realized that it has been almost 20 years since I was actively involved in a wedding. Things have really changed and in my area outdoor/barn venue is very popular. Hope we get to see a photo of you with your awesome dress and professional hair and makeup.

      Delete
  9. Perfect dress for you!! I despise shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the dress! The $89 clutch is adorable too but .... $89??? I don't get out much either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are going to look stunning in that dress. As for the $89 clutch, I say go back to Marshall's and see what they have. I am not an expensive dress or bag person.

    ReplyDelete