Saturday, April 13, 2019

Origin Stories

 I've chain plied the two bobbins of merino locks into some pretty wonky yarn.



They are pretty small skeins. I hope they are enough for a pair of mitts. Now I'm just going to pack them away for next winter. Knitting woolly mitts is not something I want to do right now.



 When I finish a project like that I always like to go back and look at where it started. I do recall this fleece was in pretty bad shape.



 It had turned yellow in the shed from leaving the oils on it for too long so I dyed the heck out of it.



I didn't process the fiber further. I just spun it by pulling handfuls from these big chunks. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. It was actually pretty fun. The rest is getting carded though. I'm over the stripey thing. I want to see what happens when these colors blend.




Since that wheel was free I decided to go fiber stash diving for something else interesting. I came up with these.



They came from her. Meet Nora.



 She was a very dirty Shetland I picked up at the SVFF. I was going to pitch her but then I thought I'd give her another chance.



She wasn't terribly promising at the start....



...but I can say she is spinning up nicely. I had forgotten all about her being so dirty.





5 comments:

  1. Nora made a beautiful blue batt! Enjoy!

    She may be a dirty girl, but she is a gorgeous yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Love blue Nora! And I can't wait to see the pinks, oranges & yellows knit up, stripes or not. Love those colors together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll be glad you gave Nora a chance to prove herself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, nice spinning! Shetland is right near the top of my list for favorite fiber to spin!

    ReplyDelete