Monday, October 31, 2011

A Tale of Terror



It seems fitting that I have a horror of a story to tell on Halloween. A few days ago I was startled to discover that there was grafting involved on the final edge my latest lace project. With no other choice at this point, I had to give it a go. Terrified, I Kitchenered my brains out. You see those stitches still on the needle? They were leftover after the grafting. They are NOT supposed to be there. At all.



Pulling all those tiny grafted stitches out was a nightmare of epic proportions. Don't even ask about all those live stitches that were left hanging out all over the place. My hair was standing on end as I struggled to pick them all back up and figure out where they went.



It took me hours of ripping to get it back to where the pattern made sense and then hours of getting it back to where it was pre-disaster. All the while I am thinking about doing serious bodily harm to the designer for getting me in this mess even though I know it really was all my fault.



How many times do I have to write posts about problems arising from NOT reading the entire pattern before forging ahead? All that grafting nonsense was clearly stated right at the beginning. I would never have started this mess if I had known since the Kitchener stitch over 81 stitches in laceweight is a recipe for madness.
The worst part is after all that fixing, I still have to try and graft that edge again. This thing is a gift and I need it by the weekend.
Happy Halloween, dammit.

1 comment:

  1. Reading notes is for amateurs - we are adventurous knitters - it's all about the adrenaline rush :)

    ReplyDelete