Monday, March 18, 2019

Making Do

 My St. Patrick's Day dinner was a bust.


 I've been using the same recipe for soda bread since 1981 and it calls for buttermilk. I sent The Mister out to the store yesterday morning for the dinner ingredients but he came home empty handed in the buttermilk department so I had to use the milk and vinegar trick.


 He also brought home the weirdest potatoes I've ever seen. They were red on the outside and yellow on the inside. They had a strange texture. I don't think any real Irishman would approve of potatoes like these. I know I didn't and I'm not even Irish.


 The next disaster came when I realized I didn't have any butter. I had to saute my cabbage in olive oil for the colcannon. The oil plus the weird texture of the potatoes made for an interesting dining experience.



The soda bread wasn't anything to brag about either. You really need that buttermilk to give it the lift it needs to keep from becoming a gluey mess. The Mister didn't hate it but I did. I'm glad I only made a small one.



At least the beer was cold. Better luck next year.

10 comments:

  1. Isn't it frustrating when you make the effort and it doesn't work? I realized I only had 1/2 of the amount of buttermilk I needed for my soda bread, so used Greek yogurt for the other half - it seemed to be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of the Yukon potatoes either. Some people say they taste like buttered potatoes, but I prefer ordinary potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hate it when nothing goes to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m sorry that you put in so much effort and things weren’t as you like them. We had a lovely corned beef and cabbage dinner at a friends house last night. I got to enjoy it with none of the work! Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you could eat it .......not perfect, but edible and there's always next year.

    Sorry the soda bread didn't work out though. Good bread and butter are a JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been successful at soda break making. I end up with cinder blocks or bowling balls, depending on how I shape it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, at least the beer was cold! I hate when a tried and trusted recipe does not turn out like it should. I have had mixed results with making buttermilk by using either vinegar or lemon juice although various recipes state that it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dear. Some leprechauns were surely at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some times cooking is so frustrating:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this sounds like my kinda cooking experience!
    Sorry for the bummers.

    ReplyDelete