Sunday, July 26, 2009
A Big Stumble at the Finish
I learned a lot about fiber prep during this year's Tour de Fleece. I went from making lumpy bumpy batts to ones so white and fluffy I wanted to take a nap in them. I used them to produce two big skeins of fairly decent sport weight destined for some scratchy socks. All was well until I started the dyeing process.
While I was spinning and watching the Tour, I thought it would be a good idea to dye the yarn using the color of each leader's jersey. Using food coloring I came up with these candy colored skeins that looked more like layette material than sock yarn.
I got out my black Jaquard dye and tried to add some stripes. As soon as I put it on I realized I had made a BIG MISTAKE. Instead of staying in neat little spots it started to run through the entire skein taking over all the other colors.
Here is the sad result of 3 weeks of hard work. It hurts my eyes to even look at it. I still have a giant box of the unwashed fleece that I spun this from so today I'm going all the way back to the starting line. Versus usually reruns the Tour over and over so I am going to keep watching and spinning until I get it right.