Sunday, October 6, 2013

Sweater Weather

When this catalog showed up in my mailbox a few weeks ago, I fell in love with the sweater on the cover. Knitting it however, would cost me at least an entire month's food budget. Even if I had wanted to knit it, I had heard on the Webs podcast that this particular Noro yarn, in this color, was sold out everywhere and it would be months before it was on the shelves again.

I already have one sweater on the needles but after seeing the one on the catalog cover, I really, really wanted to work on something with some pizazz to it. I was also almost out of the handspun I was using and like the Noro, it was going to be a while to get it restocked.

 Hmmm.....didn't I already have a box full of fun sweater yarn in the stash?

 I most certainly did.



I also had this pattern in the queue. It is Elizabeth-a side to side cardigan with a ribbed waist and a wide shawl collar.



 I wasted worked an entire morning trying to get gauge and concluded that yarn lies. I went from size 8 needles down to size 4 and I still had the same exact stitch count every time. Argh.....



 Math be damned, I decided since this was a very simple and straightforward design, I would go with the numbers that fit me using the information from the blankety blank swatch rather than being a slave to the pattern. This should be interesting.




3 comments:

  1. I agree.... that cover sweater is gorgeous! I haven't committed to knitting a sweater in ages but that one has me thinking about it. Of course I'm not sure I'd want to give up the months food budget either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like an interesting design. I've not come across a side-to-side sweater before, I'm curious - off to do some reading...

    ReplyDelete