Monday, November 20, 2017

A Sew, Sew Sunday


I am so thankful that I am not hosting Thanksgiving this year. Look at my dining area. Yikes.



 The mess did push me to try to finish up some UFOs yesterday while The Mister was tucked away in the man cave with all day football.




 Those potholders I started a few weeks ago needed to be sandwiched, quilted and bound.



 They were my first real test of the new free motion quilting machine. I decided just to do an all over meander and was humming away nicely for about 2 minutes when-gasp. I ran out of bobbin thread.



 Thankfully, I got the thing threaded again without creating any major tension issues. The quilting is nothing fancy but it'll do for potholders.



 Over on my regular sewing machine is a new foot. I found this one in my box of things that came with the machine and had no idea what it was. Since this pattern called for 1/4 inch seams and mine always pull apart, I gave this doohickey a try and it was like a miracle. It's hard to see but it has a little gauge thing on one side that keeps the material lined up quite nicely. Where have you been all my life?



Now I have a pile of hand finishing to do but that's for another day. I've got soap to wrap.

11 comments:

  1. I dvr Sewing With Nancy and the one for Saturday had free motion quilting. If you haven't seen it already you can find it at nancyzieman.com. She had a lady that did different designs that were pretty cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potholders are looking hoT!!!!
    Glad you don't have to clean and cook for the big Feast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the potholders! Now you need to make some Christmas ones and keep up the practice!!! It is a relief not to host Thanksgiving, isn't it. I have this year off, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my presser foot with the attached sewing guide, too. It makes consistent seams quick and easy.

    Nice job on the potholders - love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to go look in my box of things for my sewing machines to see if there's one of those foots in there. I could use a foot like that. Love those pot holders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those Potholders. So cheerful and seasonal!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are wonderful looking potholders my friend. Good thing you don't have to cook for Thanksgiving, huh? I love that new foot...I already checked my accessory box and I don't have one. Darn!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have to be in 2 places this Thanksgiving, but regardless, I'm chuffed to not be hosting anything but teenage boys this week. My whole apartment is just a hot mess. hot mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are going to be very busy this week. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Mister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mom gave me a Free Motion foot for my vintage Singer (since you an drop the feed dogs on it). I was thinking some pot holders would be a good thing to test it out on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, fantastic way to spend a football afternoon. I spent mine online looking at Christmas presents. I like to buy local but have to resort to Amazon when necessary.

    ReplyDelete