Monday, July 20, 2026

Busy Betty White

 

Earlier in the week I had made a loaf of bread using Brown Betty's morning discard and it was too sour. I know some people really like the sour aspect of sourdough but I'm not one of them. I did some research on how to un-sour Brown Betty and the first thing they said was use white flour. It took me three days to turn some of Brown Betty back into Betty White but when I did I put her right to work. 



First I made pancakes for dinner with her discard. I usually have to put a pile of leftovers in the freezer but we ate them all. 




Then it was pizza. This was the easiest dough I've ever rolled out. It didn't fight back one bit. 




I could get it nice and thin. What I didn't do was have the oven hot enough to really crisp up that crust. I like a crispy crust but The Mister doesn't so he was happy with it. 





The whole time it was baking I was terrified that it would stick. I oiled the pan but I still worried. It didn't stick. I was doing a happy dance when that spatula slid right under it. I could have lifted the whole thing up and tossed it like a Frisbee. It was so good we ate the whole thing.



Finally, the real test. Would this be the kind of bread that I can eat with just a bit of butter and not have to pucker up?




It was. It wasn't as full of bubble holes as Brown Betty usually is but it had a much milder flavor. Whew. Betty White and I had quite the workout this week and I didn't even mention the pile of waffles or the jar of crackers we made. Yesterday I mixed her back in with Brown Betty so I didn't have to keep up the care and feeding of two jars but it's nice to know I can resurrect her when she's needed. 








6 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your new baking skills! The bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! That pizza looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing all your baked goods when you bake with Betty; everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh - that pizza looks great. I too, like a crispy crust. I have a crisper pan and it helps a lot
    https://www.amazon.com/Bakken-Swiss-Non-Stick-Pizza-Holes/dp/B0C786Q1H8/ref=sr_1_10?crid=W7EG0EFSL58B&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OWCfA9LasI7XqQZ9su39N-GcOF0MSnu1biGf6R69oZLquGjuGqQLxCVo5jixZMCLQK7S6SF1bVcf1sOBWDF-GCXr68xUO4OhLqfRY0uD8gcS5zgRiMvu6XBP9XlLkb3iBO4P3b06iBFWxw-fO6aF89Go6cv1-LX5J7ZCOz6-r6mzS8S1LeKXoF6XVDW9Glfxf3LXdFzT_CE4_DAk5C4Zo7MVV8_8mAyuRxPpnqbL8eYvt6q4TRKIPiIY7_qYDtmHv2nLoBc0j_nEN4WiW_djr-8-Uu5sfOQxn9lNgDcl7Qc.BqlQdgeORDk5QANY3cZMY5FwysKFBoaIXkX3UZbSlI4&dib_tag=se&keywords=crisper%2Bpan&qid=1784559055&sprefix=crisper%2Bpan%2Caps%2C259&sr=8-10&th=1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that pizza! Look into getting an Ooni pizza oven!

    ReplyDelete