Since early spring, the black vultures that live in the shed next door have been showing all the signs that they had babies in there but it wasn't until yesterday that they brought them out. The baby is on the left. You can see all its white down feathers still stuck to its neck and back. Mama is on the right. I had thrown them out some chicken I had in the freezer that I had thawed overnight. It was too old for human consumption but it was a feast for the birds.
A face only a mother could love.
There's not much I like about the summer but I do like fried green tomato season. The corn was good too. I'll make some corn chowder with the leftovers to go with the loaf of bread I'll be baking tomorrow. Betty White has made a comeback.
My poor babies were out there in all that smoke that's been blowing through the past few days. It was downright creepy on Friday. Between the heat and the smoke, cabin fever has become a thing. Fall can't come soon enough.
The smoke gives me a sore throat so I didn't even go to the Farmer's Market yesterday morning. The Mister went alone. He brought back corn and tomatoes.






Those black vultures are not exactly cute and cuddly birds, but everybody has to eat. Good thing they're living next to you!
ReplyDeleteLove the vultures!
ReplyDeleteThe smoke gives me a sore throat too - but thankfully it hasn't been any worse than that. It's mostly cleared out now - but for two three days, it was brutal - far worse than it's ever been!
I love their little neck ruffs! We just have the scary red head ones out here.
ReplyDeleteThe vulture family is really cool! The pic of your wooded valley is beautiful! Get it blown up for a wall canvas!
ReplyDelete