Sunday, August 7, 2022

Wild Thing

 

In case you were wondering what ever happened to Boris that black vulture that used to camp out on my deck-she's still here. In fact, she brought me two babies this week. Last year she brought me one and this year she's got two to care for. 


She's teaching her babies how to scavenge for food so she's pretty insistent at meal time. She's learned to go up on the skylight and tap on the glass to get my attention. I toss a plate of food scraps out to them and then off they fly. The babies are not great fliers yet. They've fallen off the roof more than once when they try to land on the gutters. 


As if that wasn't enough, I've also got Yertle the Turtle showing up for a meal on a regular basis. I noticed our Prime delivery guy standing on the porch for the longest time the other day. He was watching Yertle tackle some leftover kitty food. I have no idea how it manages to get up onto the front landing but it does. I've also seen it fight the vultures for that food. The same vultures that chased a large fox into the woods are terrified of a little turtle and keep their distance until he waddles away from the food. I'd love to know the story behind that level of respect. 




5 comments:

  1. Yertle RULES!!! That story truly made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the neatest post--I understand there is a pecking order among wildlife but who would've guessed a turtle would rule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yertle the turtle is protected by his stubbornness and body armor from pecking birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for Yertle! Those vultures are kinda scary looking critters. We get deer visitors fairly often and all sorts of little birds at our feeder, but nothing quite like those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I love that the vultures are afraid of the turtle. I'd like to know the story behind that one too!

    ReplyDelete