Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Naughty Soap Update

 Ta dah.....that botched batch finally hardened up. It saponified slowly for about 24 hours and then after it cooled it popped right out of the mold.


 They look like soap but feel different than my normal bars. They are a bit grainier.



The ph was about the same as my regular bars at the same stage. I'm happy I saved the bars but they are not for gifting. I'll turn them into hand soap or imbeds if they cure safely and redo the fragrances. Sigh...



By a little Amazon magic my new stick blender is already here along with some new silicone whisks-just in case anything like this ever happens again.



Unfortunately some other things are taking up my time at the moment. Soap will have to wait. Meet my new curvy bathtub. The plumber put it in yesterday. It was a nightmare of a job for him and The Mister but it's one more thing ticked off the remodeling list.



I also want to thank Karen from Wisconsin for saving my day yesterday. The plumber showed up at 7am so I had no running water on a miserably hot day. Even worse,  I had to spend the day on the muggy buggy deck with the parrot to save her from the plumbing fumes and dust. It was a terrible day until the mail came. Thanks Karen. That candy is out of this world!

10 comments:

  1. Bloggy friends to the rescue!!!

    I didn't know you had a parrot! What kind do you have? We used to have a spectacled Amazon and a lineolated parrotlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an African Gray. She is 26 and I hand fed her as a baby. She is very spoiled and pretty much rules the house.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad the soap turned out well-it is beautiful! There's progress in the bathroom! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new favorite word is "saponified." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for the soap save and that tub is a "thang of beauty"....LOL. I'm trying to wrap my head around not having a tub for all this time. In my experience plumbing is always a nightmare. It will all be worth it in the end though. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two other full baths-thank goodness! I am sharing a downstairs bathroom with the kitties. It's where we usually keep their litter boxes.

      Delete
  5. Aww the parrot. YOu are so good to your family and pets. Hooray for great mail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But the good news is that the tub is out of the living room! My experience has been that any renovation is more difficult than expected in the beginning and has a few unpleasant surprises thrown in. Hopefully, the end result will make it all worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so good you're able to salvage the non emulsified soap. hehe. I'm even happier you got a new blender. I tell you, mine is due to crap out very soon. Please let it be while the husband is using it. Your new tub looks FANTASTIC. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a brave soap-maker! I'm sure you'll find a good use for this batch.
    Ah, remodeling. Not so much fun when you're in the middle of it!

    ReplyDelete