Sunday, August 9, 2026

Sunday Sewing

 

I had a lot of decisions to make this week. I needed to start thinking about backing for the Zig Zag quilt. I hate thinking about backing. Even a small quilt like this one takes a lot of fabric and fabric isn't cheap anymore. 


The designer's quilt calls for giant orange rick rack. I wanted to skip that so I bought some orange yardage to add a skinny border before I add the last yellow floral panels. 




The binding material that was included with the kit is gold so I went with a yellow backing. It all arrived within days of ordering so I'll be at work today assembling all this. I doubt I'll get to putting together the sandwich mainly because The Mister still has a puzzle on the big dining room table that I need to lay it all out on. He's almost done but I'm really not in a hurry. That's always my least favorite part of the process. 
 






7 comments:

  1. It does look very nice and I hope you get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the feed sack look of the quilt--so very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the thin orange border. Sometimes I try to think about backing in the early stages of making a quilt. Takes a bit of the sting out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed on the least favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this quilt is so cute and cozy looking. I agree on the cost of fabric. I've been ordering cotton for my dresses from Good's online. I think they're in Pennsylvania and they are very fast in shipping and reasonably priced too. Might be worth checking it out. :-)
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to look fantastic! We scour the clearance bins for backing fabric. It's also another reason I use flannel for the back - It's often close to half the price of regular quilting cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree putting together the three layers can be tedious. I often piece a few odds and ends for backing because fabric is expensive. And I don't make bed-sized quilts anymore. Once I even used some strips from a pieced top that didn't work out. I think the small orange border is great.

    ReplyDelete