Sunday, October 4, 2026

Duck, Duck, Goose

 

Look what I did. I was unbelievably proud of myself. I've made a lot of quilts but I usually stick to simpler blocks. I had to keep looking at this one all night to make sure it was really there. Then it was time to move onto the second part of the pattern and well, things didn't go so well.



My flying geese's beaks were missing. After watching a lot of tutorials I realized what I had done wrong so it was rip, rip, rip and try it again. 



After I had the geese lined up better, I discovered that the strip doesn't match up with the center piece the way they should. The whole line of them was about 1/2" too long. Normally I would cheat this by taking in a few seams here and there to even it out but you can't do this with the geese or they will lose their beaks again. 



What I had to do was take the strip apart, shave a bit off the bottoms of some of the geese and then sew them all back together again.



The second strip went on without a problem except for the part where I forgot to tension the bobbin thread after I re-loaded and it was all sewn on wonky. I had to rip some of it out and sew it all back together again.  The third strip is having the same issue as the first strip. It's too long so I'll be taking it apart today and giving those geese a haircut. I don't think I'm a fan of this particular block-especially as a border. 



And a big thank you to Sandflies who every fall sends me a care package of coffee and other goodies. This year it was maple cookies which I absolutely love but can never find. It was very generous and very, very much appreciated!






No comments:

Post a Comment