Friday, June 5, 2026

You're Only Old Once

 

I was thinking about this book yesterday after I realized that my home has become a nursing facility over the past few months.



I was sitting in my chair at the time with my new lumbar support pillows that I carry around all day so I can sit comfortably for more than a few minutes. 




I just added this crazy looking thing to my bed pillows because I keep waking up with a stiff neck. It's an ergonomic neck pillow. Then there's the stability balls all over the house. They get a lot of use.




On my nightstand is a new tens unit for my back. It's keeping my glucose monitor, blood pressure cuff and pulse oximeter company. 




The thing that really broke me was this. I had to get one after I spent a day thinking I had taken a double dose of my new meds because I couldn't remember if I had taken them already. I've never had to deal with daily pills before and nothing screams OLD to me more than having to have one of these now. 




Except maybe still having The Mister's walker by the tub so I can haul my old carcass out safely. I don't want any falls. I've seen what falls can do especially when you're slippery and wet. No one wants to go out in an ambulance in their birthday suit. I sure don't. 






7 comments:

  1. Those things look like helpful aids to me, and I'm actually quite envious of your lumbar support pillows! I have a regular pillow on my knitting chair and it doesn't really do the job. But I understand how you feel about pill boxes. I had to get one a few years ago when I needed to take am and pm drugs. My memory was not to be trusted, so I had to rely on a pill box. Surely all the cool old people use one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing because Bill and I had so much extra 'stuff' to pack that reflect just what you've highlighted! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a real book?! I laughed out loud at it. But reading your post makes me realize that our house has been slowly showing the age of it's occupants too. I've had to use one of those pill things since I got my pacemaker 12 years ago. Too many new medications at different times to remember them all. The important thing is that you're still here and laughing at all of this. :-)
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the TENS machine is helpful--I have a small, hand held one and it basically cured my TMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those little assistants do accumulate. When I got a pill caddy with days of the weeks my kids laughed at me. I said, "don't laugh, I'm doing this for you." I had recently spent a lot of time helping my Dad keep his meds sorted and he didn't ever want to use one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The assistants are helpful but a reminder of the aging process.

    ReplyDelete