Saturday, February 15, 2020

Hmmmm.........

 I was so excited about my Valentine's Day lunch. It's been ages since The Mister and I have been out together. We go separately with our old work friends but rarely together. The Mister wanted to share a place he goes to with his crowd that I had never been to. I had high hopes.



 We got a nice table for two by the fire place. The ambiance was nice. Then....the wine came. That was a $9 glass of Riesling? Seriously? It looked like the waiter had drunk half of it before he brought it to me. Am I that out of touch? Is that what passes for a glass of wine these days? That's not a particularly large glass. It's the same size I have at home. Jeesh.


 The Mister's jambalaya looked wonderful.



 My Beyond Burger on the other hand was horrible. First they bring it to me without a bun or any condiments. Like I am going to eat a veggie burger plain. Yeah, right...and then when they brought it back it was slapped on an ice cold bun that was hard as a rock. Still no condiments or fixins of any kind-just a dried out burger on a bun with a piece of lettuce for decoration. I choked it down by dipping it the maple sauce that filled my plate from the roasted sprouts-which were actually pretty good.



 I was really looking forward to the beignets The Mister promised. This is what they brought me. If you have ever been to New Orleans you know what a beignet is. You don't chew them. They melt in your mouth under a cloud of powdered sugar. These were over fried eclair pastry that you are supposed to dip in a chocolate or strawberry sauce. Sacrilege.



This is a beignet. It's a puffy cloud of sweet perfection......



....and thanks to Betsy I have a box of the mix heading my way at this very moment. She sent me a bag of yummy taffy and an Amazon gift certificate which I put a bit of to very good use right there in the restaurant ordering me up some authentic beignet mix for Mardi Gras. Thanks so much Betsy!!! You saved the day. You turned a disappointment into a quest. Story to follow......



11 comments:

  1. Sheesh! I hope the manager made things right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry your lunch was so disappointing. That seriously looks like about two swallows of wine! And those are definitely NOT beignets. At least you were with the Mister and so had good company.
    I'm so glad the card and taffy arrived in time to save the day! Amazon seriously has everything. Even beignet mix! :-) Thank you again for everything.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be better to try something totally different than you have ever had. No expectations that way.
    He did well , the restaurant dropped the ball. Glad it was saved in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer. Dave and I did our V-day on Monday to avoid the crowds, and it was a little lackluster too. I got a steak and while it was cooked right, it wasn't very tender. Dave's onion rings were cold and soggy. We used a gift card we'd gotten for Christmas, thankfully, because I would not have wanted to pay for it out of my pocket! Still the company was good - like you, we don't eat out much together. It was nice to have a "date"

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a disappointing lunch! Glad you had good company for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I'm afraid that some restaurants think that people who order anything vegetarian don't care about taste and appearance of the plate:( And those truly aren't anything like beignets! But the fireplace looks pretty and I hope you still enjoyed the time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a disappointment! Hope you get a do-over lunch with your husband soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer! I guess you won't go there again, eh? Hope the rest of your day was much better! And a belated Happy Valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always say to my husband, don't sweat it; we will eat again tomorrow! Sorry it was a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's so disappointing! I love the dumpling place you guys go to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my I hate places that are disappointing, at least you had good company:)

    ReplyDelete