Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Stitch in Time



After the ambulance pulled away with Daddio early Saturday morning, I picked up one of his quilt blocks and stuffed it in my bag. When the ER doctor dismissed my dad's delirium to old age, I took it out to show him what he had been working on the morning of his surgery. The doctor quickly changed his opinion and ordered further tests. The next day I packed up more of his projects and turned his hospital room into a workshop.



Whenever a doctor or nurse tried to blame his mental problems on old age, I pointed out what he had been capable of just days before.



Today he is finally showing some signs of cognitive improvement. We counted his paper piecing patterns. The big breakthrough came when he looked up and asked me why I was crying. Tears of joy, daddio, tears of joy.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you!!! Your father owes so much to you for insisting that the doctors and nurses look further than simple dementia! Too many times they don't look hard enough with older patients, and miss so much...

    ReplyDelete