Sunday, December 9, 2018

Black Magic

 In October I listened to the audiobooks that the movie Practical Magic was adapted from. In the movie, Sally owns a soap shop. In the books, her and the aunties make soap in a cauldron in the backyard. Black soap to be exact. Ladies line up for it because it keeps you young.




 On soap forums folks were guessing what they put in their black soap. I am pretty sure it was this. Activated charcoal. You can't get blacker than this.




 I've had the itch to try and make my version of that soap since I read the books. Now that all the Valentine's Day soaps are on the drying racks I thought I would give it a try.



 Since this soap is intended for me, I spared nothing. I put in every weird thing I could think of.



 I ended up making two kinds. A black one, using a fragrance called Black Magic and a woodsy one using a fragrance called Oud Wood.



I also used infused oils for the first time, in particular, the nettle you see at the top of the post.



 The black one turned out kind of gray. I was too cautious with the dark stuff. I'll have to try this one again.


The woodsy one looks better.
Now in 6 weeks I'll find out if my potion works. It's too late for me to remain young, but it would be nice not to get too much older. Lol....this time next week I'll be the big 6 5. Oy.



8 comments:

  1. Trying new things is one way to keep us all younger, or at least not stagnant :) Good luck with your "brew".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I posted last night but I’m not seeing it here. I have no idea what I said! Ha! Anyway, the black soap looks very interesting. 65 is young. You keep so busy, you’ll never be old. Blessings, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The big 6-5 isn't so bad. LOL Think of all the senior discounts you will qualify for.

    I can't wait to get my SEPTA (transit) Senior Card and ride around for free!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your experimenting must have been so much fun. The soaps are just beautiful and I can imagine how wonderful they smell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun experiment! The soaps look good!
    My bday is coming up and I'm just a smidge behind you but my crazy life has really tripled the years these last two birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy pre-birthday! Personally, I can't wait to qualify for Medicare. What a country, huh?
    As always, your soap adventures are intriguing. I have to remind myself that I can't possibly manage one more craft.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Early Birthday! I enjoyed reading Practical Magic, too.

    ReplyDelete