skip to main |
skip to sidebar
TdF: Week Two
Yesterday's TdF started out with a catastrophe. Like the actual Tour, I've got a DNS (did not start) on my hands. I lost a critical piece of my Spindolyn. The Mister and I spent a whole morning searching everywhere for a tiny 1/2 inch cylinder that makes the whole thing spin. It had been falling out of the bottom recently and I had taped it in but it must have escaped the day before when I wasn't paying attention. No more cotton spinning until I figure out a work around.
Mercifully, the other spindles are behaving. That is my second bobbin of the red. The support spindle is looking a bit full but I'm going to try to keep it going for the final week just to see how much I can wind on it.
I'm working on the yellow braid of the rainbow mini skeins.
And now for a love story. My wonky handspun Thermal Mitt has been a joy to pick up every morning mainly because of the needles. I had bought those Prym Arne and Carlos edition needle set on a whim a few years ago but never actually used them. I'm using them now and I am madly in love with them.
I hate increasing so when I came to the thumb gusset I grit my teeth and started in only to discover those M1L and M1R were so much easier because of how the ends of these needles are shaped. I also love the smooth joins. There's no bump where the needle meets the cable so your stitches just slide right over. Since I avoid patterns with increases like the plague this opens up a whole new world for me. Another attempt at a Musselburgh? Maybe in the fall.
I bought some prym dpns when that was my only choice and I was convinced they would never work for increases and decreases. I like really sharp points and these are not, but they work somehow. It's almost like they "scoop" the stitch? Whatever they do, they do it well.
ReplyDeleteOh wow, those needles sound like a winner. I am so annoyed by the limited access to the Tour coverage. Used to love watching it in the morning. Sigh
ReplyDeleteAll of the spinning, except the missing piece, looks great. I never have mastered spinning on a supported spindle so I envy your single there. I did make quite a bit of yarn on drop spindles before I bought a wheel. The knitting needles are interesting. I've not heard of them but I will check them out. I'm for anything that is ergonomically designed. I'm old and anything to prolong the use of my hands sounds terrific.
ReplyDeleteFascinating!!
ReplyDeleteLove all of the spinning! It drives me crazy when I lose something like that--so irritating and I do it more and more often! Those needles are very different---I want to give them a try just cuz they are so unusual!!! Keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteThose are neat needles!
ReplyDelete