Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Wednesday WIPs: Planning Ahead

 

On the last day of summer I managed to finish both pairs of summer socks. The Grand's "snow socks" in a watermelon colorway were fun to knit. The acrylic wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. The Stroll socks in the Hummingbird colorway were fun to work on. No worrying about making anything match. They look better than I thought they would so I might have to give Stroll Effects another look. I think I have some in the stash.



I get twitchy without socks on the needles so I spent a morning winding up some fall colors. The first colorway is Masi from the new Arne and Carlos Socks and More collection. It looks like Halloween to me so it will be my October knit. I also wound up a Regia stripe that's been sitting in its matching project bag since last spring. It will be my November knit. 




For the month of December I bought some Christmas yarn from an Etsy shop. Last year I enjoyed knitting along with everyone on the Cozy Knitter's Advent Sock but I couldn't justify the $42 plus shipping so I'll sit it out this year.

Edited to say: Dammit. I made the mistake of looking back at my blog posts from last year to see how much I paid for the Cozy Knitter's Advent skein and darned if I didn't get a lump in my throat looking at all those beautiful holiday posts. It was a very good Christmas. I then went ahead and pre-ordered the yarn. I got a good jolt of "you can't take it with you" and at almost 73 who knows how many Christmases I have left? I've already outlived my mother and grandmother. It's only money and money buys memories. Somebody get me a tissue. 







7 comments:

  1. Nice job on the summer sock finishes - they look great and your new yarn is so pretty. Good for you getting the Advent yarn - ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are all beautiful socks! If you think about it, $42 plus shipping may seem a bit pricey for yarn, but it's really good value for the month plus worth of enjoyment that you get out of it. I'm glad you ordered the yarn and am looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful socks for the grands! The new sock yarns look very inviting! It's only money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well yes, we can’t take it with us but for now, I’m ignoring that idea 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Daddy told me that if something can be dealt with with money, don't worry so much about it. If it's lost time, or something that money can't fix, that's worth struggling with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you on fall! Post coming soon about that. I am a sucker for watermelon socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those socks look great! I have some thrifted christmas yarn sitting on my table - just waiting for me to finish my current pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete