Sunday, June 28, 2026

Freshly Zested Lemon

 

 I don't have any photos of this soap in progress because it was a very hectic morning around here. Trying to squeeze in time for soap was a challenge.



I had The Mister up on a ladder on the roof (!) trying to figure out why the gutters weren't draining. I wasn't happy about that. One slip and fall and his new hip and knee could be history. I lived through that with my dad and DO NOT want to go there again. All this was going on as an Ikea delivery truck slowly crept towards us all morning. I do appreciate the mapped tracking but the waiting and watching makes me a nervous wreck. That's my new mattress and new recliner (!). Yet another sign of old age. I need a special chair to sit in and a firmer hybrid type mattress both to support my aching back. Oy...




Making matters worse was that it was also lye day. I had to open a new container and do a lot of measuring. I hate doing that. The lye part is my least favorite thing about making soap. It's scary.




I like to pour out several days worth at a time into small containers so I don't have to fool with measuring it out every day. If it wasn't for Cindy from Delighted Hands I wouldn't be making soap at all. She talked me through it back in the very beginning. 



I had high hopes for the new Sunday Funday yellow mica but that's a rather bland yellow. It's still better than some of the other yellows I've tried. The search continues. Color issues aside, I always look forward to throwing this one in the pot. It makes the whole house smell amazing for days.










7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a too crazy day. Hope all went well with the gutters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soap looks lovely and I bet it smells even better. I hope the gutter issue was resolved, and I also hope the new mattress and recliner are helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you discover what was clogging the gutters? It barely rains here so we have no gutters on houses (average rainfall about 3 inches).

    I thought maybe I had inspired you to make your own lemon zest when i read the title of the post:) The lemon soap seems like an even better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell the zest from here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, I can smell the soap from here...almost! I will admit--you have far exceeded my soap skills! I love to watch your saponification treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You have been very busy with the soap. How interesting. I think they are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope The Mister survived his ladder escapade. Since you didn't say otherwise, I'll assume the best. :-) I also hope that the new chair and mattress help with your "aging" (ahem) issues. I think we all understand exactly what you're experiencing. It's certainly not for sissies is it? The new soap looks wonderful. The pale yellow makes it look very delicate and lemon always makes a house smell clean doesn't it?
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete